We’ve all heard about LED lighting, it’s been with us for a few years, but it’s only now that it is starting to have a real impact with many businesses starting to invest in more energy efficient, ‘greener’ technologies, and office lighting being a key money-saving technology.
On average, for many UK businesses, lighting takes up as much as 35% of their electricity consumption. With LED lighting installed throughout the office, there is the potential to reduce lighting costs by as much as 90%! Just a small 20% reduction in energy costs can add the same benefit as a 5% increase in sales for the business.
But reducing energy costs is not the only benefit for investing in replacing all office lighting with LED lights; there are other benefits as well:
- LED lighting is 2 times more efficient than incandescent bulbs and produces the same amount of light for a fraction of the energy. Over time, these savings will add up and deliver a fast return on investment. On average, the payback period is two and a half years from the initial outlay.
- LED lights are tougher, more durable and more able to resist shocks and vibrations in comparison to incandescent lighting – that’s the maintenance costs significantly reduced!
- The environmental impact of LED lighting is 4 times less than incandescent or even halogen lighting over their lifecycle.
- We’ve all experienced how hot the lighting gets in an office – traditional lighting loses almost 95% of their energy by producing heat. With LED lights, this figure drops massively to just 5%.
- With little infrared light and virtually no UV emissions produced, LED lights are suitable for factories, kitchens, museums and offices, and there are significant health benefits, too.
- They are highly energy efficient, watt-for-watt, than just about any other lighting, producing more lumens-per-watt for only a tiny amount of energy in comparison to traditional lighting.
- LED lights are pollutant-free – no mercury, no lead, no glass, no toxic materials – making them 100% recyclable and reducing waste costs.
For many offices today, investing in 600×600 LED panel lights offer two further benefits – little or no heat emissions and 10 years life expectancy, making the perfect choice for installing in those places that can’t be easily reached, to save on maintenance, and traditional rope lights are not an option. In addition, the 600×600 LED panel lights will be changed by the solar system into electricity, transmitting it to battery power which could then be used to ‘light’ the panel in the evenings. They also produce a more efficient light emission, have a better heat dissipation and deliver a brighter light for longer periods.
Governments and the EU (we’re still in it at the moment) are committed to reducing CO2 emissions over the next few years and have already implemented a number of environmental regulations. Consumers and businesses expect their suppliers to be energy efficient, environmentally-friendly; companies have to comply with new regulations; office workers are far more aware of the health implications of bad lighting; many businesses are being encouraged to reduce their carbon footprint by organisations such as the Carbon Trust and investing in LED lighting throughout your office buildings, factories and warehouses is a very good way to start.